Why the battery does not charge? What to do?
There are 3 main reasons for this problem: bad connection, improper temperature condition, damaged battery or adapter.
To check for bad connection:
1. Check all connectors to ensure proper connectivity.
2. Unplug the supplied AC power adapter from the wall and verify that the outlet is functioning.
3. Check all cable connections, plug the adapter back into the tablet, and then plug pack into the wall.
If operating in improper temperature conditions, i.e. the tablet’s temperature is below 0 °C or higher than 35 °C, user should change the location and charge the battery in an ambienttemperature between 0 °C to 35 °C.
In case of damaged battery or adapter, contact an authorized reseller to replace the battery or power adapter.
Note: The Charging LED indicator will light 4-5 seconds later after the adapter has been connected to the tablet and the wall outlet.
My battery drains quickly even when the tablet is in Standby mode. What’s the matter?
If the tablet is not in the range of a network it can connect to, the tablet continues to send out signals to locate a base station and drains the battery. So, just temporarily turn off the tablet, or move the tablet in range of a network it can connect to, ortemporarily turn off the wireless connection on your tablet.
In addition, if the tablet keeps checking for Windows updates even in Standby mode, the battery will drain quickly too. This is the default setting, user can disable this by enabling “Never check for update”. However, this operation is not recommended.
Tablet is connected to the power adapter for charging, but still fails to turn on. Why?
If the tablet has been idle for a long period of time, or has just been purchased and used for the first time, its battery might be completely discharged. In this case it is suggested that user should charge the battery for over half an hour before turning it on, so as to guarantee the stability of the system.
Tablet does not turn on, what to do?
It may be because the battery is completely discharged. Charge the tablet for over half an hour, and then press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds to turn on the tablet.
Tablet does not turn off, what to do?
Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down.
Note: User will have to wait for about 8 seconds before turning on the tablet again after it shuts down.
Tablet locks up, what should I do?
Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down.
How to deal with the case that my tablet is not responding or behaving as expected?
1. Reboot the tablet;
2. If it still not works, try refreshing the system.
3. If the problem remains unsettled, contact the vendor’s support service.
Note: Refer to the section Maintenance> Refreshing your tablet for detailed information on how to refreshing the tablet.
Tablet cannot boot into Windows, what should I do?
Contact the vendor’s support service.
Why is the software or feature is not working as expected?
Software updates may have been downloaded in the background. Restart your tablet by swiping-in from the right edge of the display to access Charms and touch Settings → Power → Restart to restart the tablet.
The device crashes, or the screen turns blue after startup. What can I do?
It may be because the system of the tablet has been damaged to some extent for improper shutdown actions.
When shutdown, press and hold the Power and Vol- button together to reboot the device and enter Recovery mode, so as to repair or reset the system.
After entering Recovery mode, user will have to choose an option from the menu before going on:
- Continue – Exit without doing anything and continue to Windows 8.1 system.
- Use a device- Refresh the system by using a USBdevice, network connection, or Windows recovery DVD.
In that case, you will need to have an image of the Windows Operative System inside of a micro MicroSDCArd (If you saved the image of the operative system in an USB you will need a USB-MicroUSB adapter to connect the USB device to the Kurio Smart)
After select this option the system will be restore at the point you saved when you did the Windows image inside the MicroSDCard.
To create a USB recovery drive
1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
2. Enter recovery drive in the search box, and then tap or click Create a recovery drive. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
3. After the recovery drive tool opens, make sure the Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive check box is selected, and then tap or click Next.
The checkbox is greyed out when your PC doesn’t have a recovery partition. The recovery drive will include only the recovery tools and a bootable image, but not a recovery image to use for refreshing or resetting your PC.
4. Insert a USB flash drive into your PC that is at least as large as the size indicated on the screen.
5. Tap or click the USB drive you would like to use for your recovery drive, then tap or click Next.
6. Tap or click Create.
The recovery image and necessary recovery tools will be copied to your USB flash drive, which will take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the recovery image.
7. When the process is done, do one of the following:
• If you want to keep the recovery partition on your PC, tap or click Finish.
• If you want to remove the recovery partition from your PC and free up disk space, tap or click Delete the recovery partition. Then tap or click Delete. This will free up the disk space used to store your recovery image. When the removal is done, tap or click Finish.
Some PCs don't offer the option to remove a recovery partition. If you experience this, there isn't a recovery partition on your PC that's using additional disc space.
8. Remove the USB flash drive.
This is now your Windows 8.1 recovery drive, and you'll need it if you ever need to refresh or reset your PC. Keep it in a safe place and don't use it to store other files or data.
If your PC came with Windows 8 and you upgraded it to Windows 8.1, your recovery drive will include Windows 8, and you’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after you refresh or reset your PC.
- Troubleshoot- Refresh or reset your PC or useadvanced tools.
- Turn off your PC- do nothing and turn off the tablet.
Touchscreen responds slowly or improperly, what’s wrong?
Perhaps the screen is dirty, and sometimes the protective cover prevents the tablet from recognizing your inputs.
Moisten a soft, lint free cloth with either water or a display cleaner, and wipe the surface of the tablet until it is clean. Do not allow water from the cloth to seep down to the tablet ports or buttons. Remove any protective covers from the touchscreen.
No wireless connection, how to set it up?
1. Check if the wireless radio is on.
See Wi-Fi setting.
2. Try to get closer to the wireless access point.
3. Reset the wireless router if using a private network; open the browser to view the landing page if using a public network.
Slow Internet connections. How to make it faster?
The signal strength is not strong enough. Move your tablet to a different location for better signal reception.
How do I upgrade my Kurio Smart to Windows 10?
1) Make your reservation through the Get Windows 10 app (which can be cancelled at any time)
Click on the Windows icon located at the right end of the taskbar.
Click “Reserve your free upgrade” in the app window.
Enter your email if you want a confirmation of your reservation.
Note: If you do not see the Windows icon in the taskbar, make sure all Windows updates have been done on your device. Go into the Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update
2) Once you have reserved, wait for your upgrade notification.
As soon as Windows 10 is ready for your specific device, it will be downloaded alone in the background to make the upgrade experience easier for you.
When the download is complete, you will get a new notification on your desktop. At that point, you can choose to upgrade Windows right away or at any other time.
Once it is upgraded, you can use Windows 10 for free on your device. Enjoy!
If you have any questions related to Windows 10 upgrade, click on the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
By default, the Kurio Smart is set to never go into sleep mode.
However, in order to economise battery, it is preferable to modify these parameters.
Depending on your Windows version, you can find that option in:
- PC settings / PC and devices / Power and sleep (on Windows 8.1)
- Control panel / power options / edit plan settings (on Windows 10)
We recommend the following sleep mode preferences:
- on battery : 20 minutes
- plugged in : 1 hour
Port Micro HDMI / Micro USB
I can't insert the HDMI plug into the port of the tablet
Make sure you try to insert the plug into the right Micro HDMI port. Make sure not to mix-up with the Micro USB port that is very similar.
Port Micro USB / Micro HDMI
I can't insert the Micro USB plug into the port of the tablet
Make sure you try to insert the plug into the right Micro USB port. Make sure not to mix-up with the Micro HDMI port that is very similar.
I do not have Office 365 when upgrading the device to Windows 10
We advise to finish the installation of Windows 8 before doing the upgrade towards Windows 10. If you proceed to the upgrade directly during the first installation, Office 365 will not be available anymore.
In the case you already lost Office 365, we advise you to install Windows Mobile apps (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, One Note) available for free on the Windows Store.
I can't charge my device via the Micro USB port
The Micro USB port of the Kurio Smart is only used for data trasfers. It's not possible to charge the Kurio Smart via the Micro USB port. Please use the power adapter with rounded plug provided inside the box.